Just for Fun: We're Celebrating Halloween With Frighteningly Good World Records
Halloween is just around the corner. This year, we’ve decided to celebrate with some terrifyingly good Halloween-themed world records. Plus, find out how Stikins ® name labels can keep your Halloween haul safe and sound.
Truly Terrifying & Seriously Spooky Record Breakers
This year we thought we’d celebrate Halloween with some spooky record breakers. (Beware, content ahead contains A LOT of pumpkins!)
- Halloween means amazing costumes. World records for the largest group of people in a particular costume include: 15,458 zombies, 2,495 scarecrows, 2,018 skeletons, 1,607 witches, 1,580 superheroes, 1,369 vampires, 1,275 angels, 878 fairies, 560 ghosts, and 252 dinosaurs.
- Halloween parties often involve bobbing for apples. World records include: 37 apples bobbed in a minute, 361 apples bobbed in three minutes (by a team of 6), and 597 people apple bobbing at the same time.
- You might also have tried pumpkin carving, which has a number of frighteningly good records.
American Stephen Clarke owns two pumpkin records; he carved a single pumpkin in 9.4 seconds and carved a tonne of pumpkins in 3 hours, 3 minutes, and 49 seconds. Most pumpkins carved in one hour is 109, while, at the other end of the scale, most pumpkins smashed in a minute is 52.
The world’s largest (and heaviest) Jack O’Lantern was created from a pumpkin with a 591.8cm circumference and weighing 1,065.9kg. The lantern took 8 hours to carve and featured a tiger design (in honour of Tiger King).
Other records include longest line of carved pumpkins (1,464m), longest tunnel of pumpkins (6.09m), most lit Jack O’Lanterns (30,581), and most people carving pumpkins simultaneously (1,060).
- Have you ever visited a haunted house? The longest outdoor walk-through horror attraction measured 1,933.72m (just over 1.2 miles!). The longest indoor attraction was even longer at 2,189.59m (just over 1.3 miles).
- If scary films are more your thing, you may have noticed that horror films tend to stack up an impressive number of sequels. The (current) record breaker is Witchcraft, a horror franchise featuring 16 films, which also holds the record for most direct sequels (15).
- The largest gathering at a Halloween event was a truly terrifying 17,777.
- Finally, it’s time for some record breaking ghosts!
The oldest drawing of a ghost appears on a Babylonian clay tablet thought to be around 3,500 years old. The tablet describes how to send ghosts to the afterlife and depicts a female figure leading a male ghost back to the underworld.
The oldest ghost could be 220 million years old! Ghost Ranch in Arriba County, New Mexico is home to a serpentine ghost. Around 6-9 metres long, locals named it Vivaron (snake demon). Early sightings were initially dismissed as folklore until 1947, when palaeontologist Edwin H. Colbert unearthed many prehistoric fossils nearby. One belonged to a 9-metre-long creature from the Triassic Period called a phytosaur, leading to speculation that the ghost could belong to one of these ancient creatures.
Keep Your Halloween Stash Safe & Sound With Stikins ® Name Labels
As multipurpose name labels, Stikins ® labels work on a frighteningly wide range of items. This makes them a great way to label up Halloween bags, boxes, and other treat-carrying devices – preventing terrifying tantrums over which sweets belong to whom!
They’re also a great way to label costumes or a change of clothes if you’re planning a spooky sleepover.
We use a unique adhesive, which forms strong bonds with a range of surface types. This includes soft, flexible fabrics and hard, flat or curved plastics. Simply peel each label carefully off the backing sheet and apply firmly onto your item.
Apply your onto the wash-care label of clothing, not directly onto the fabric. In shoes, avoid applying your labels directly below the heel. We recommend using the side wall or beneath the tongue.
You can order online at any time or by phone during office hours (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm). We offer four pack sizes of 30, 60, 90, or 120 name labels. We offer a 10% discount on every order of three or more packs. Your packs can be identical, all different, or any mix you like. Plus, if you don’t need three packs yourself, you can club together with family or friends.
Whatever your plans for All Hallow’s Eve
We Wish You All A Spooktacular Halloween!