If you’ve never ordered name labels before you might be a bit confused about what information you should request on your name labels. This blog post should give you a bit of helpful advice to make sure that your name labels have the perfect print for you!
As a personalised product, it is ultimately up to you to decide what text you want to include on your name labels BUT there are a few things to think about to make sure that your name labels are as effective as possible.
All of our name labels are printed with a bold, black font; we do not offer any other font colours or styles.
The font size is determined by how many characters you request on your labels. Our name labels measure 30mm wide by 15mm high (Stikins ®) or 35mm wide by 15mm (Trons ®) only – they DO NOT GET BIGGER OR LONGER to allow your text to fit. Instead, our system will count up the number of characters you have requested on each line and then REDUCE the font size until it is small enough to allow all of those characters to fit onto your name labels.
To get a bigger font size, therefore, you should keep your information short and sweet. You CAN request up to 30-35 characters per line but we would advise using no more than 20. Most of our customers request a name only, although you can comfortably fit a name (first name and surname) on the top line and a phone number on the bottom line. If you want the largest font size possible, you would need to use a single name only (e.g. just a surname).
We DO NOT recommend including addresses or email addresses (as these tend to use up a LOT of characters), or trying to include more than TWO bits of information on your name labels.
Our name labels can ONLY be printed with standard alphanumeric characters (A-Z and 0-9); we cannot print any images or emojis – although we can print emoticons made out of standard characters and punctuation marks (^__^).
We can also print the following accented characters from the standard European keyboard:
À Á Â Ä Ã Å Æ à á â ä â å æ È É Ê Ë è é ê ë Í Î Ï ì í î ï Ô Ö Õ ò ó ô ö õ Ù Ú Û Ü ù ú û ü Ç ç Ñ ñ Ý Ÿ ý ÿ Ø ø Ð ð ß ƒ
When you order name labels from us, you will be asked if you want your text on one line or two lines. The default option is TWO LINES and we recommend leaving this option selected unless you are entering a short amount of information only. For example, if you are using a single name (e.g. surname only) or want labels printed with a single word then you could choose the one line option to increase the font size. If you are entering two pieces of information (e.g. a name and a phone number), we recommend adding one piece of information to the top line and one piece onto the bottom line.
We have a set of printed examples for you to look at on our website so you can see how different amounts and layouts of text will look when they are printed.
TIPS FOR CHOOSING YOUR TEXT:
Names: you can choose to add a name in ANY format you like:
- JUST a first name, surname, or nickname
- A first name and a surname
- A first name, middle name(s), and a surname
- A first name, surname, and a nickname (an ideal option if you are ordering name labels for someone who is ONLY known by their nickname and not their given name)
Messages: you can also choose to add messages to your labels, such as:
- “Please Return To”, “Property Of”, or “This Belongs To”
- Medical or allergy information that can act as a medical alert in the event of an emergency
Contact Information: you could add a piece of contact information to help make it easier for lost items to be returned to you:
- Add a home number or mobile number (we do NOT recommend adding both, if you also want to add a name)
- Add an email address (we only recommend this if your email address is particularly short, otherwise your font size will be significantly reduced)
- Add a room number if your labels are for a resident of a nursing or residential care home
- Add a year/form/class name or school name for children
Sharing A Pack: we CANNOT split a pack between different names; every label within a pack must be printed with the same information BUT if you don’t want to buy a separate pack for each person you need name labels for, you could try one of the following workarounds:
- Use a surname only so you can share a pack between members of your family
- Use initials and a surname if your children (or relatives) share an initial
- Enter two first names onto the top line (e.g. “Name 1 & Name 2”) and the surname on the bottom line
- Enter two names (one on each line) and cut your labels in half
- Enter both first names or initials along with the surname and cut off one of them as needed (e.g. request “Name 1 Surname Name 2” on one line and cut off one of the names)
- Request blank labels or a blank line so you can write in the name or information you need with a suitable pen (e.g. a laundry pen)
Blank Line(s): to request blank labels or a blank line, simply use the spacebar on your keyboard to enter a single blank space into the line(s) you would like to be left blank.
If you would like to leave a blank space at the start or end of a line that you can fill in later (e.g. Room _______), please use the spacebar to create the blank space that you need AND add a note to your order to let us know that this is what you would like to do so that we can double check your order manually to ensure that it prints correctly.
For more answers to Frequently Asked Questions, please take a look at our FAQs page or read through our Blog. If you find that you have a question that our website doesn’t answer, please get in touch with our Customer Service Team who will be happy to help. Alternatively, simply head on over to our site to place an order today!