Product Information: To Use Stikins ® Or To Use Trons ® – That Is The Question…
Here at Label Planet, we supply two very different kinds of name labels, which means that we often get questions from customers who aren’t sure what the difference is or which ones are the best ones for their needs.
So, we’ve put together this quick-fire guide to help you decide!
What’s The Difference & How Do They Work?
STIKINS ® are stick on name labels that simply peel off their backing sheet and stick onto the wash-care label of clothing (and other fabric items) or stick directly onto personal items. They are made of an extremely flexible plastic with an advanced adhesive. Each of these super slim labels measures 30mm wide by 15mm high and is a white label printed with a bold black font, which means they are easy to read when they are needed but are unobtrusive and discreet when they are not needed. They’re also very smooth, which means they won’t cause any discomfort if they happen to brush against skin when labelled items of clothing are worn.
TRONS ® are iron on name transfers that work in the same way as the transfers used to add designs to T-shirts; each label is made up of a single, extremely thin, layer of material that is impregnated with ink (to form the printed name or information that you want to be displayed) – during application, the transfer fuses and bonds with the material of the item being labelled to effectively become a part of the item itself. This creates a completely permanent name label on any fabric item, with the white background and bold black font making it easy to find and read when needed.
What Items Can They Be Used To Label?
STIKINS ® can be applied to pretty much ANYTHING. They can be used to label any fabric item with a wash-care label as well as personal items, such as bags and shoes, lunch boxes and water bottles, books and stationery kits, or phones and tablets. If you want to label fabric items (such as clothing, bedding and linens, or even toys), you should always apply your Stikins ® to the wash-care label; this is because fabric items are made using so many different material blends it would be impossible for us to test our adhesive on all of them. Instead our name labels have been tested on wash-care labels, which are usually made with one specific type of material. Applying them to the wash-care label also means that the labels tend to be discretely tucked out of the way until they are needed.
The ONLY items that they aren’t much use for are items like socks, which don’t have a wash-care label and are designed to flex around the foot as they are put on, taken off, or worn – this means that they don’t have a stable surface for the adhesive to bond with, which means that the name labels will tend to peel up or fall off.
TRONS ® can only be applied to fabric items and should be applied directly onto the material of these items (as they don’t tend to bond well with the glossy finish found on most wash-care labels).
How Do I Apply Them?
STIKINS ® simply stick in and stay in; all you need to do is carefully peel each name label off its backing sheet and apply it to the wash-care of your fabric items or directly onto any other personal items you wish to label.
To get the best possible results from your Stikins ®:
Apply them to the wash-care label of fabric items and wash new items of clothing before you apply your name labels. Leave your labelled items for 24 hours before you wash them for the first time to allow the adhesive to fully strengthen and set. When applying Stikins ® onto shoes, you should always apply them onto the side wall or beneath the tongue; if you apply them directly below the heel of the foot, the friction generated by movement will cause the print to rapidly disintegrate and wear away.
TRONS ® require a little more time (and a lot more patience) but are supplied with a simple six-step set of Instructions For Use leaflet to help guide you through the process:
- Find a hard flat surface (not an ironing board), turn the clothes inside out, and set your iron to its maximum heat setting (do not use steam).
- Cut or tear your silicon sheet into pieces slightly larger than a single name transfer (each piece should be used once).
- Put your garment on the edge of the surface and put a transfer face up on the very edge.
- Put a piece of your silicon on top of the label (shiny side down).
- Iron over the silicon paper with the tip of your iron; press down firmly and move your iron from side to side for 25 seconds.
- Remove the silicon paper (while still hot); allow your transfer to cool and then gently check if the label is completely fused into the item – if it is not, repeat step 5.
So, which should I choose?
It is entirely your decision but you should consider the following:
- If you need to label a mix of fabric and non-fabric items, Stikins ® are the more cost-effective choice because you can buy one pack to label everything.
- If you only need to label fabric items, you can choose to just order Stikins ® or just Trons ® but do remember that Trons ® will always require a bit more time and patience to apply correctly.